How to tell if you are at risk…
There are signs that incomplete combustion is occurring, resulting in the production of CO.
- Yellow or orange flames rather than blue
- Soot or yellow/brown staining around or on appliances
- Pilot lights that frequently blow out
- Increased condensation inside windows.
If you suspect carbon monoxide is present, follow this simple guide: T.A.S.K.
- T: Turn off or extinguish the heating source / appliance (if safe to do so).
- A: Air – ventilate your home by opening windows and doors, stay outside in the fresh air.
- S: Seek medical help if you feel unwell.
- K: Keep all heating sources/appliances off until serviced (or chimney / flue cleaned) by a qualified professional.