1st March 2015
3rd child dies after CO leak in Ohio, USA
A third of four children exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide from a furnace in a home has died. 13 year old Jakia Jones died on Sunday, a hospital spokeswoman said. Her cousins 14-year-old Dionanna Bishop and 13-year-old Dejah Bishop died on Friday after a relative found them unconscious inside a home in Troy, 20 miles north of Dayton in southeast Ohio. Jakia’s 8-year-old brother, Jahari Ward, was in critical condition. Preliminary autopsy results released Saturday indicate Dionanna and Dejah, who were sisters, died of carbon monoxide poisoning, the Dayton Daily News reported. Police have said a furnace caused the leak of carbon monoxide. Full article: click here.
27th February 2015
Building Firm Fined
A building firm has been fined after a Kirkby couple showed signs of carbon monoxide poisoning at their home. To read the full article, click here.
27th February 2015
Yate couple killed by toxic gas boiler leak.
A YATE couple who died from carbon monoxide poisoning had not serviced their leaking boiler in 10 years, an inquest heard. Deborah Coster, 60 and her husband Jonathan Coster, 46 were found dead in their home in Cherington, off Shire Way on Thursday, November 13 last year leading to a joint inquest being opened as they appeared to have been overcome by fumes generated by their coal fire boiler. Full article can be read by clicking here.
7th February 2015
Couple died from CO poisoning weeks after diamond wedding anniversary
An elderly couple from Weymouth died from carbon monoxide poisoning just two weeks after celebrating their diamond wedding anniversary, an inquest heard. Leslie and Grace Thomas, aged 84 and 82, were discovered at their home in Quibo Lane, Westham, on November 24 last year. An inquest at Bournemouth Coroner’s Court heard how the couple were found in their kitchen by police, with Mrs Thomas in her pyjamas and Mr Thomas fully dressed.
The couple first moved into the house in 1996, having met in 1954 and married at St Paul’s Church in Weymouth the same year. But the boiler had never been serviced since they had lived there and had an inefficient ventilation system, the inquest heard. The couple also used a coal burner in their living room, but a build up of soot was blocking the gauze. Michael Fisher, a safety enforcement engineer for British Gas, said the couple’s boiler was approximately 30 years old and British Gas had never serviced the boiler themselves. He said the boiler required permanent ventilation and initial tests proved that carbon monoxide was escaping from the boiler. Mr Fisher added: “Calibration tests showed 27 times the amount of carbon monoxide emitting from the boiler than the normal amount, which was incredibly worrying.
Full article : here.
6th February 2015
Gas fitter given community order after family suffer CO poisoning
A newborn baby suffered carbon monoxide poisoning after a gas fitter failed to identify defects on a family’s boiler. Full article: here.
26th January 2015
Catherine McFerran speaks to the Belfast Telegraph
Catherine McFerran tells how the tragic accident that killed her son Neil compelled her to warn others of risks. Full article: here.
21st March 2014
George Brown jailed after deaths of Neil McFerran and Aaron Davidson
Brown was yesterday sent to prison for two years for the manslaughter of the teenagers. Gas fitter George Brown was told a litany of shoddy workmanship by his firm resulted in the deaths of the two young friends by carbon monoxide poisoning. And a judge warned the lives of former clients of Brown (52), from Ballygawley Road, Aghadowey, could be at risk from appliances he installed. They were urged to have their homes inspected immediately to prevent further tragedies. Full article here.